The main aim of St. Christopher’s PRU is to meet the 5 outcomes of the Every Child Matters agenda. To achieve this aim staff at St. Christopher’s will:
- Provide a positive experience of education for those who have been permanently excluded, or are at risk of being permanently excluded
- Promote a safe, healthy, social and emotional learning environment and/or experience for all pupils
- Offer a curriculum that enables all pupils to become successful learners and to enjoy learning, making progress and achieving
- Assist pupils in gaining skills and knowledge to enable them to make positive contributions to society and to prepare pupils for the next step in their economic well being
- Provide behavioural management training to parents, families, schools and other agencies to help them to provide an education for the whole child.
The main vehicle by which we attempt to meet these aims is the well defined Positive Behaviour Management Strategy through which pupils are supported in improving their behaviour.
St. Christopher’s offers a broad and balanced curriculum taking into account the requirements of the National Curriculum. However, the main focus of the PRU’s work is the emotional well being of the pupils which we try to support through a nurturing environment.